Getting holiday presents is something that I've always believed should happen on Christmas and birthdays and maybe Mother's/Father's day.
But according to my kids most other kids get presents for Easter, and many for Valentine's Day, and I think they might be claiming the 4th of July too.
What's next? Halloween presents? President's day presents. That is kinda fun to say, presents for President's day.
But really. Who gets presents for April Fool's day? And who would want to?? (Except my sister but that's just because her birthday happens to BE April Fool's day)
Any one want to comment to help me stay strong in the face of my kids blatant attempt to claim there should be presents for everything?
8 comments:
well, a box of chocolates on valentine's day is nothing to sneeze at.
I think Easter baskets really detracts from the message of Easter. I hope that doesn't sound like a bah humbug thing, but there it is. As for other holidays, I think decorating for every holiday and giving gifts for every holiday is just merchandising gone amuck.
A little decorating is fun, although I seldom get around to doing it. But I agree that the religious holidays especially have to have a worldly substitute. Santa and the Easter Bunny are the obvious ones.
Oh, I got off-track! Presents on all holidays? I don't remember seeing ads for Valentine's presents, or St. Patrick's Day presents. If you buy a big Easter basket at the store, it does have toys included with it.
But what I'VE noticed is that most of the holidays seem primarily or secondarily about candy. Think about it. Halloween is obvious. Valentine's - hearts & candy. Christmas - Santa & candy. Easter - Easter Bunny & candy. Is this a plot? This ties in with your post about sugar, doesn't it?
What about all that advertising for jewelry around Valentines day? Or dresses and such for Easter? And definitely, candy is trying to be a big part of everything.
Or cell phones. Cell phone companies would have you believe they are the perfect gift for every occasion, including the holidays no one cares about.
You just tell your kids they are lucky to get presents Ever! (And it isn't like they aren't the ones that all the money gets spent on anyway)
One son told me recently that he'd rather receive his birthday presents spaced evenly through the whole year rather than all on his birthday. I said 'o.k. give me back those socks and underwear I just bought you and I'll wrap them up.'
I don't think presents should ever be obligatory for anything. We give each other presents at Christmas because we love each other and they represent the gift that we all received from God.
When people start expecting presents and gifts, it becomes meaningless.
However, I still accept any and all gifts that anyone would like to give to me at any time.
I don't like when society tells me I have to give certain things on certain days. Dumb society.
But this year we found something fun.
I have been coveting a basket or rack for my bike for a while and a couple weeks ago we went to the bike shop to get my hubby a new bike helmet. I spent a long time looking at all the different baskets. They were all pretty pricey though. When I got home I found I could get one much cheaper on Amazon. In my search I found some very cute baskets the perfect size for the kids that were only $10. They have a handle and are attached with Velcro so you can remove them from the bike and take them in the store with you. They happened to come before Easter so we fashioned them like Easter baskets with a bit of candy, coloring books and crayons inside.
Now when we go to the library I wont be left carrying everyone's books home.
Post a Comment