Sunday, March 14, 2010

Blood donation

I used to donate blood from time to time. It has been a long while since I had tried though. For various reasons, some medical. and some for the reasons that most people don't donate.
I've been feeling like maybe it was time to start donating again. So off I went to donate, unsure if my thyroid meds would make me ineligible.
I was going through the screening questions, and medication for thyroid is no concern.
But having spent more than 3 months in the UK at any time between 1980-1996 is a serious concern. As in: a complete no go, nada, not allowed, ever. Worries about CJD transmission, which they can't screen for.
Given that I spent a year and a half in Ireland during that time, I'm out of luck.
Unless they someday develop a screening method for CJD, I'm permanently deferred.

I'm torn between being embarrassed that I'm just now aware of something that has been in place for 10 years, sad (or glad) that I can't donate, and worried that I may carry a disease with a 20-30 year incubation and for which there is no cure.

2 comments:

Scorchi said...

Well golly! Those are a lot of concerns that all came up from just trying to do a nice thing!

leBolide said...

Me too - I'm permanently deferred due to having been in France during that time.

It's a burden I'm willing to bear!