Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sugar Free??

I've eaten low sugar a time or two. Most actively when I was pregnant with twins.
I've been vegetarian too, for a while. Never tried to eat low carb though.

I have several family members who try to avoid sugar, some vigorously, some on a whim.
I've wondered (but not asked) what that looks like. Do they just not eat candy, cake, and cookies? Or do they avoid ketchup and other things that aren't really sweet, but have a lot of added sugar? Or do they avoid anything with sugar, even fruit sugar or honey?

What does sugar free mean to them? And why do they do it?
(Not that I actually want to know. I've blocked out the details vigorously, and would rather not be reminded.)

Is it because we are a fairly abstinent group, so giving up drinking or smoking isn't really relevant?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

for me, sugar free means no disaccharides which includes all grains, starches, and table sugar (sucrose) in all of its varieties and no dairy which has lactose. i'm not sure if it includes honey (which i'm not eating) but it does not include fruit (yay) because fructose is a monosaccharide (simple sugar) which is easily digestable. in case you were wondering what it leaves: fruit eaten alone, meat and veggies which can be combined.

elesa said...

I just gave up desserts. I am too lazy to try to change everything that I eat, which is what giving up ALL SUGAR would mean for me. And I did it mostly for my health, and because sometimes I feel like I am a slave to it and I wanted to get over that.

SillySlang said...

I'm going sugar free for a while to do a candida yeast cleanse, which means no dried fruit, no fruit juices, no canned fruit, no honey or maple syrup, no ketchup or dairy.

I will eat whole fruits.

Also, no grains, nuts, or dairy for a season, because they turn into sugar in the body.

No processed foods.

I also am learning that all diseases start in the gut, and I don't want colon cancer when I get old. So, maybe getting the right balance of good bacteria will make it so I don't have to be quite so restrictive forever. But, I do need to keep up the increase in veggie eating forever.

But, you know given a choice for a snack between a celery stick and a cookie, which are we more likely to pick? The one that we have to wash and chop or the one that is just sitting there in the package waiting to be eaten?

Demi said...

Well, I am the first to admit that my not eating sugar is certainly not sugar free. I avoid desserts and candy. No soda (which is hard because it is plentiful and free at work). But I haven't gone so far as giving up grains, though I eat wheat over white. I don't believe honey is bad, so I can make good things to eat with honey. Besides, if I gave up honey, I would have to give up my morning granola, and that would really suck.
I haven't given up yogurt and I know it is pretty sugary. I am slowly making the switch to plain.
I haven't banned fruit juice, but I don't drink it really often, because I feel it afterwords. I have yet to give up ketchup, miracle whip and the like.
Maybe someday.
It would be easier if my husband wasn't an addict and he believed me that I don't eat that stuff anymore.