Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Jury Duty

I wish i had time to blog properly about jury duty.

First I had to "register" online. I didn't put any ineligible dates, because I figured I could manage a day or two, which are the trial lengths that I have personally been involved in.

But now I have a summons for a three week trial. I don't think I can pull that off.

And I can't do anything about it until I talk to the judge that first day.

Everyone has given me advice on how to get out of it, but it boils down to two categories that I have gotten from everyone.

1. Claim undue hardship, poverty, etc.

2. Act prejudiced in some way or another.

Doesn't anyone actually serve jury duty??

Why does everyone assume that it is something to get out of?

and here is where I run out of time.....

2 comments:

Scorchi said...

I think its a privilege to serve on a jury, also I've never got to that point. I always get sent home before a trail ever begins. I do agree that it is a hardship for almost everyone, because they have a life that the can be absent from for an undetermined amount of time.
It is sad that most people think of it as something to avoid at all costs, whether they actually could serve or not. It means that most juries are filled with people too lazy or uncreative to avoid it.

elesa said...

I have another recommendation. Solve the crime. Find the video footage of the perp committing the crime, or get a taped recording of his irrefutable confession and that should cut your trial time down to almost nothing.