Monday, January 26, 2009

if wishes were fishes

So I ran onto this blog post the other day.

Punctuation Marks

Here's a snippet:
The problem with exclamation marks is that they encourage people to be lazy in their writing. Instead of writing "I loathe tofu with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns," someone might write "I HATE TOFU!!!!!!!!!!!" I guess it communicates basically the same point, but the latter is far less evocative and more tiresome to read.

I wish that I were that writer with a thousand suns, but I am not.
I am the person with a thousand exclamation marks instead.

Further one he says:
If you can't find the words to express an urgent need to pee, well, I hate to tell you this, but describing complex emotions like rage and jealousy isn't going to come easy to you. In other words, you suck as a writer.

That is me. I overuse words like awesome, really bad, pretty neat, to the exclusion of more interesting possibilities. I may recognize thousands of more evocative words, but my functional vocabulary is distressingly restricted (distressing how far I had to dig to keep from saying "my vocabulary is pretty small)

Little wonder my blog is so boring.

Alas and Alack, I guess I should just accept that "I suck as a writer"

So sorry to my four readers.

4 comments:

Scorchi said...

Well, that post was really fun. It would be fun to try to sound like a good writer, but I'm afraid most of us just want to communicate what happened instead of making it fun to read at the same time. oh well.

ae said...

I think my siblings and I want to make it fun to read, far more than we want to communicate what happened.

Unknown said...

Is that why you guys never send news? Now I understand!

Oemac said...

Woo hoo. I am post number 4. Does that mean no one else will read this?