Sunday, January 25, 2009

Winkflash is NOT my friend!

Quite some time ago I attended a digital photobook class given by my much more talented sister.

She told us the pros and cons of the various photo book publishers.

She showed us how to use PhotoShop Elements to make photo pages, and then upload to be printed.

She also showed us a simple book using a publishers basic templates, nothing fancy, but goes quicker.

I didn't own PhotoShop Elements or otherwise, and paying money for software is anathema to me, so I still don't.

I thought, I'll just use their templates, and make a nice clean simple book, easy.

Winkflash has these regular "flat rate" sales, where you can get a 100 page book for the 20 page price. Excellent deal, so that was our plan.

G worked on the book for me, but we would keep missing the deadlines to order.

So this time around I was determined to FINISH the book this time and get it ordered.

Quick and easy this was NOT.

At the time I started I had no experience with any photo publisher interfaces.

Since then I made the "free" book at Picaboo. That took me a single day, and had lots of easy to use options, templates and backgrounds.

The book when it came was smaller and thinner than I was expecting, more of a leaflet than a book really, but the actual pages are great.

Winkflash is the clunkiest interface imaginable. Barely any templates, a few more backgrounds, and no customization possible, plus no feedback about resolution of the pictures.

Worst of all, it has no undo feature.

Right before I was going to order, I tried to use their photo "nudge" feature, and ended up messing up the whole last half of the book. Had to do most of it over, and right before the deadline too. I just barely got it ordered in time to get the discount.

It will be a while before I get the book, so we will see if it was worth the seemingly endless hours I spent on it.

I'm gonna try another publisher that has hard back books for .50 a page, up to 40 pages. If I like it, I'll let you all know.

No comments: