Friday, January 9, 2009

Driveway Competition

This competition is all in my head.

But the neighbor across the street and I are so often shoveling at the same time.

His driveway is clear and dry.

Mine is still snow packed, icy and slippery.

Yes, his is south facing to my north facing, but still.

I do know his secret, ice melt!

But can I put my hands on some?

Noooo!

I've been trying to pick some up for weeks,
without making a special trip.

Finally gave in and made the special trip just for ice melt.

Wow, what a difference!

My driveway isn't dry, but the ice is all melted for the first time in weeks!

Two days of above freezing weather helped too.

Update:
Geographical layout make this a pointless competition.
Yesterday's skiff of snow left my driveway snowy and icy.
All those across the street melted in the sun, but not on this side!
I should not be competing with south facing driveways!

I have one neighbor who picked her house location just to be on the side with the easy to clean driveways.
But that also means all her nice big windows face north.
I may have to fight my driveway,
but my big southern windows gather sunlight AND heat!

2 comments:

Patti Smith said...

You've most likely gotten me beat because I've been on vacation and gone for 10 days. We will be home on Sunday and I don't even want to know how much snow I have to shove.

The Bec-ster said...

I like shoveling snow...can you tell its the beginning of the first winter in Utah? Hee hee but the neighbors are a bit concerned because I am so pregnant (I got a few comments last week) ...I feel bad not helping the old people across the street though but I know they would think I was nuts if I shoveled their driveway to be nice and they realized I am 8 months pregnant!