Thursday, January 15, 2009

mono vs stereo

I should be working, so this is a great time to blog. There aren't any tasks anyway, so I can pretend that I am watching for them while I type.

In the last few months, I started using my mp3 player a LOT.

I inherited my mp3 player, and it has some quirks.

Mostly that only the right channel works. So only the right headphone has any sound. During the day with kids, I can only use one earbud anyway.

I wouldn't think it would matter that much, but most music is stereo. And usually the music is not evenly split between the two sides. Oh no, they put some of the instruments or sounds on one side, and some on the other. So music can be curiously lopsided if you only hear one side.

I was also listening in the car through an adapter. Still only half of the music plays. Richard felt like he was going deaf. I kept telling him that this was just the "suggestion" of music.

For Christmas I got a new mp3 player.

I discovered a few things. My car adapter also has problems, and would only play in on the left speakers. So we are talking 1/4 the amount of sound that should be there. Little wonder Richard felt deaf.

It *is* amazing to have all the sound. I had a new album that I was thinking was a bit bland. Not when you can hear all the percussion! That seemed to be what is usually on the missing channel.

I thought I had lost my interest somewhat in chorale music.
No, just my interest in hearing only the men's parts, since the women's parts were mostly missing.

Having ALL the sound, well, it makes me cry.

1 comment:

Scorchi said...

Wow. sad but happy ending story. Good music is way better than bad sounding music. Glad you got a new player!!!

I don't understand all that about the partial channels, but I know good speakers makes all the difference on good music. It makes me cry, too.