Friday, November 30, 2007

Is blogging dangerous?

I'm thinking it might be. Folks have gotten fired for blogging, though it was big news mostly in 2005, it still happens. People get angry and upset with each other over things posted.
Blogging can deceptive. You are typing out there in the ether, and it can feel anonymous. Given the search volume of the web, how would anyone find me?
But they can, and they do, and usually you want them to.
Instant publication of your thoughts, without having to print and drop pamphlets on people's heads.
But if you weren't considering your audience at the time you were typing some rant in your own little world... well, it can get ugly.
I've removed pictures and most id type info from my site, but that sure makes it boring.
I found a quote somewhere that says:
"Anytime you post, you are effectively making a choice between being safe and having something worthwhile to say," he says. "It's a rare occasion where you can both please everyone and come up with a new and engaging line of thought. Sometimes things you say will offend people, no matter where you're saying them"

But typing that without a source could get me in trouble with copyrights. So here's the link to the original article:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/Careers/04/05/blogging/

And here's the link to an article about the trouble you can get in if you ignore copyright: http://www.hatrack.com/osc/reviews/everything/2007-11-11.shtml

And there are many articles about the dangers of divulging too much about yourself online, making identity theft all too easy.

I think there are several different issue here, and bringing them all up at once is muddying the water.
Maybe I will revisit this topic later.

No comments: