I just got sucked into one of those personal sales presentations I'm so susceptible to, this one from Mary Kay.
Over the past year, I've tried to overcome my natural geekiness and update my look. I joined a style email for my shape, got a new hairstyle, had my "colors" done, and scoured D.I. and Ross for a new wardrobe. But my makeup was, well nonexistent, and I didn't dare buy new for fear the colors would be all wrong.
So I went to a "color class" with Mary Kay. I liked the colors of the makeup. I suggested some of the colors, and I discovered that I can do just fine at picking out colors that look good on me. So that was a confidence builder.
I liked how the makeup made my eyes look big, but as I almost never wear makeup, it felt like too much to me.
I'm begingning to get wrinkles. I'm not thrilled about this, but how hard do I really want to fight something that is inevitable? I have trouble with skin care anyway (as with most daily maintenance tasks I know I should do) and I'm not likely to stick with any complicated age fighting regmine.
Given that 1. I'm cheap 2. I rarely wear makeup 3. Skin care?? 4. I dislike network marketing 5. I'm an anti-salesperson, how did they nearly talk me into signing on with them?
Sucker for the sale pitch strikes again!
This time I *am* going "Whew!"
1 comment:
Ah Mary Kay. I have to say I was lured in by one of those lifesucking vermin once (yes I share your abhorrence for sales people (is abhorrence a word? Did I spell it right? Are double parentheses allowed?)) After she finished my makeover, she sincerely told me that I would be beautiful if I just wore makeup. I told her she would be skinny if she would just go on a diet. That was the end of my Mary Kay experience. They are just so ready to beat down my already unstable confidence by pulling out sixteen hundred items and products that I have no idea how to use and no interest in listening to why I should buy them. Like eyelash curlers, what a useless instrument. Anyway, I've forgotten my point, but now when I see a Mary Kay lady I just want to punch her in the ovaries and run in the other direction.
Post a Comment