We had some last minute costume changes just before we went out. G discarded her goth outfit and dressed up fancy. Big M's princess dress kept losing the gathers I'd put to shorten it, and I didn't think walking was going to work in it, so I had her where G's pirate costume from last year. R and I put on previous pirate costumes too and we all looked pretty colonial, except for our little spiderman. He was very cute, and liked his puffy spiderman muscles. He would say trick or treat, but very softly, and sometimes thank you, and often had to be reminded to hold up his bucket. G said she didn't want to go for long, and big M was so fast, and little M so slow, that just once around our street we thought would be enough. But big M wasn't done, and R and I were having fun meeting our new neighbors, so we got the stroller and G added some layers for warmth, and we kept going. We were very slow still, cause R and I would stop to chat at many houses, so slow that K (who was out with his friends) beat us home and was NOT happy about it. He'd run all over the neighborhood and had tons of candy. We had way more candy than we intended. It was just very social, with people out to talk to, and a chance to talk to some of the neighbors that I hadn't met yet. We met one guy who said "I sure hope we keep this kind of thing alive. It doesn't happen in big cities anymore, and this is nice."
I hadn't thought of it that way, but it was nice and I do hope it keeps going, as silly as knocking on doors in funny costumes and begging for candy really is, may it continue!!
1 comment:
we decided just this year that we will no longer go door to door in our neighborhood, but opt for the trunk or treat variety offered by several neighborhood churches, netting more candy in shorter distances, and a trusted environment.
Post a Comment