This is a tale of woe in some ways, then later there are reviews if you can stick with it (or skim past).
I used to be very good about recording/categorizing all financial transactions. I've used Quicken since oh, 1994. Now all of my transactions hadn't followed me in the transitions from Mac to PC but I had a good lot of data. I didn't like PC Quicken as much, since it was harder to back up, and didn't import everything I had. Then my computer power supply tanked my hard drive, and of course didn't have a decent backup, so all that data was lost. Very frustrating.
Then Quicken decided to do this clever thing they call "sunsetting" Meaning they actively disable webconnect features on older versions, like only two year old ones.
Final straw for me, I'm not the upgrade every two years kinda gal.
(Never liked how their budget worked either, and always used a separate spreadsheet for budgeting anyway.)
Apparently Quicken '08 has a new budgeting thing called Spending Plan that can work like envelope budgets, but I'm too annoyed with them to try it, or the $3/month online Quicken that sounds cool either.
MS Money came with my new desktop, and I was using a bit here and there. For some reason after we moved, it worked for one day, and then lost everything, would not restore from back up, and would only pretend to download transactions. No transactions ever showed up, though it would show me my bank balance, but then so will my bank, and show me my transactions too.
So farewell to the two big names in financial software.
No comments:
Post a Comment