Thursday, June 26, 2008

What I've decided to do for the moment about finance software

So, my favorite software is probably mvelopes, but it is just too much for me, so I canceled my free trial.

Second is YNAB pro, but it is really bossy about its four principals.
1. Spend last month's money for this month
(so it won't make this month's money available to budget)
2. Give every dollar a job (every dollar has to be budgeted)
3. Save for a rainy day (requires these funds)
4. Roll with the punches, -leftovers or overspent rolls over to next month
(If you overspend in a category, it subtracts that amount from next month)

I like these in theory, but I am not sure that I am ready to live with software that forces me to follow all of them right now, especially 1 and 4.

My cousin told me that he divides his direct deposit into two accounts, one for bills, and one for everything else.
It sounded a great plan, and as we already have accounts active at two different local credit unions, it wouldn't take much to implement.

So my current plan is a combo, and does not involve buying any software.

First: I've tried to get my spreadsheet working for for a split account process. (This has turned out to be more complicated that I would have thought)

Second: Split direct deposits between the two accounts. (Supposed to be able to do that online, but it didn't work yet. I'll keep trying)

Third: Use mint.com to for visual feedback and tracking, since it handily records multiple accounts for me. And I really do like its pie charts and graphs.

This option may not be as good as YNAB would be on its own, but it does mean that I can't overspend into the bill money, and I will have cds and money market accounts for some of the rainy day funds.

If I decide this doesn't work, then we can try YNAB instead.

2 comments:

leBolide said...

I just bought the ultra-cheap version of Quicken to keep track of my checking account, only to discover that my credit union can only export to QuickBooks format, and they are incompatible!

ae said...

You can download the basic version of Quick Books for free, maybe that would work with your credit union export! (Though Quick Books is bloatware in my opinion)