More recently I tried Mint.com and the engine that powers mint, Yodlee. Yodlee worked much the same, but was more intrusive in what personal details it asked, and just didn't look as good.
I like mint a lot. I like that it is free. I like the pie charts and the cool way that they zoom in on the categories. I like that it can send you weekly updates, and warnings when you go over budget. I like that I can compare my spending in various categories to others in various cities and states. I like that it auto updates quickly whenever I log in. I like that it remembers how you categorized specific transactions and enters new ones that way. I could never convince Quicken to do that.
On the downsides. It was a bear to figure out how to log in to some banks, though I finally did get in to all the accounts they support, which isn't overdraft, mortgage or commercial loans as yet. Mint also doesn't let you customize the categories yet. You can make your own labels, but those don't work quite the same. The budget feature is much like Quicken's, which means it just tells you when you are over budget in a category, no shuffling money, or carrying any over from month to month. No way to tell if the amount I have left in each category matches to how much money I have. This seems to be a hard concept for financial software to grasp.
So while I really like mint, for true budgeting purposes, I'm back with my spreadsheet.
No comments:
Post a Comment