Saturday, June 20, 2009

Walgreens

I've talked mostly about Albertson's, cause that is where I do my main grocery shopping.

But there is a Walgreens close to me. And Walgreens has some nifty sales sometimes.

They recently starting "register rewards" to replace the monthly saver they used to do (That was a much slower system, but the rebates didn't expire).

Certain items you buy and then get a printout (called a catalina) for money off your next trip (good for a coupons of weeks). Very often the item is then "free".
When this gets really nifty is when there is also a coupon for that item. This week it was body wash. With the coupon I was only paying 1.50, then getting a catalina for $3, in essence making 1.50 on each purchase.

I find this irresistible. I'm making money buying things!

There are a few gotchas in the process.

1st: you can only buy one item and get the reward. But I have 6 coupons. So I've been running in whenever I'm passing (I have to pass it to go almost anywhere) and picking up the sale items.

2nd: Often these items get cleared out, then I have coupons and nothing to buy with them, and rainchecks won't make the catalina print if it has expired.

3rd: You can only use as many coupons as you have items. Since I'm only buying a coupon of things usually, I can't use my coupons and my last catalina together unless I add additional items.

4th: Walgreens has no items under $1 near the check out. For a while I was thinking they didn't have any at all, as even candy bars are 89 cents. Today I remembered to look around before I got to check out. Now I remember, Walgreens has nifty clearance items. Today I got tape and envelopes for under 50 cents, and was able to use my catalinas before they expire. So I may have a solution to this one.

Rite Aid might be similar, but since I don't have one near me, I've never checked.

I don't think I will ever pay for toothpaste again.

1 comment:

Scorchi said...

Wow. That's so fun. I just have to figure out how to make it work, too.