Wednesday, April 8, 2009

I'm just not a morning person?

I have a theory about the whole "morning person" vs "night person" thing.

My theory is it has a lot more to do with personal inertia than with mornings or nights.

I don't mean inertia in the inactive sense it is usually used when applied to people, but the way it is used in physics. "the tendency of a body to maintain its state of rest or uniform motion unless acted upon by an external force"

For me personally, whatever state I am in, is the one that I tend to stay in. If I'm awake, I want to stay awake. If I'm asleep, I'm gonna want to stay asleep. If you are the external force that pushes me to change states, I'm probably gonna get grumpy about it. I don't know that physics has anything to say about that part of it though.

I'm married to someone with very low inertia. If he's awake, sliding to sleep happens, whether he will or no. If he's asleep, awake happens easily, though not necessarily happily.

Bright eyed and bushy tailed is a part of this discussion for another time.

1 comment:

elesa said...

I am usually cheerful in the morning, but being called "bushy tailed" just might make me hit someone.