Wednesday, September 24, 2008

When ranking dead last is best.

Here is a very interesting article about the character of different states.
The United States..... of Mind
I wanted to post the maps, but they are interactive flash, and that was beyond me. So click on the interactive graphics link and check them out.

Utah ranked very last on the measure of Neuroticism,
a time when being last is good.
Also ranked in the top 5 on Agreeableness and Conscientiousness (big surprise), top 10 for Extroversion (from our tight knit Mormon communities), and top 20 for Openness (which is a bit atypical for a solidly Republican state, but also true of Texas).

I find these results a bit funny over all. But they explain why I didn't like Washington much. Almost dead last for extroversion and not very agreeable. But not very neurotic either, I found them to be pretty uptight. And Nevada whose agreeableness is almost dead last and not very extroverted either. Doesn't jib with my experience there. I found them friendly and agreeable in spades.

I do like this quote from the article.
States that rank high in openness to new ideas are quite creative, as measured by per-capita patent production. But they're also high-crime and a bit aloof. Apparently, Californians don't much like socializing, the research suggests

Also Conscientious (or dutiful) states produce more than their share of mathematicians.

This is all data from a huge database of online psychology tests taken over the last 13 years. I'd like to see those questions in each catagory. As a result should be taken with at least a grain of salt, but interesting none the less.

2 comments:

elesa said...

You know you can take that personality test those results were based on. I looked it up. I don't remember what it is called, or what my results were, but the name of it is in the article.

Oemac said...

I thought their whole question based was so silly that I can't imaging that their results mean anything at all.