This is what little I actually personally understand about thyroid issues.
Hopefully it is somewhat clear, if not, go have some cake. Not that cake will help you understand, but it will get you away from all this boring technical stuff.
TSH is Thyroid Stimulating Hormone. It isn't actually a thyorid hormone, but a pituitary one. It is what stimulates the thyroid to work.
If the thyroid isn't putting out enough, then the tsh goes up. the pituitary saying, wake up!. If the thyroid is putting out too much, then the tsh goes down, the pituitary saying calm down! So when tsh is low, you are probably high and hyper (though not always. Mine sometimes stays low, even when my t4 levels are down) When tsh is high, the thyroid levels are too low. So it's opposite.
T4 is the hormone made in the thyroid. T3 is the one used by the cells. Free T4 and T3 show what's actually available to your body. Total T4 or T3 are usually artificially elevated because they show everything, bound in cells and free floating.
TSI is thyroid stimulating immuniglobin, which is an antibody that takes the place of tsh and overstimulates the thyroid. It can also effect the eyes and cause them to bulge out. I should probably visit an ophthalmologist. Mine TSI is through the roof high. Once TSI is very low, then there is another test TBII that can be done to see if there are any other antibodies hanging around cause trouble. If both of these are low, then I can taper off of the antithyroid meds I am on and be in remission.
TPO shows how much inflammation there is in the thyroid. Mine was pretty high, but wasn't nearly high enough to qualify for biolynks donation program, which would have made me some money. So that's a bit frustrating.
I am taking metoprolol, which they sometimes use for migraine. I hadn't had a headache since taking it and was pretty excited about that, until Friday, when I had a real doozy all day. Course I have not been sleeping very well so I'm sure that contributes.
I really only have a couple of symptoms this time, even though my levels are through the roof. I have racing heart/skipped beats and agitation and that's about it. I really wanted it to be other than thyroid, but thyroid it is.
I am very gradually starting to feel better this week, so hopefully that will continue.
No comments:
Post a Comment