I don't think that I mentioned it, but Grace Noll Crowell wrote the words to the hymn "Because I Have Been Given Much"
This next one reminds me the hymn, so I will post both here.
A Hungry Man is At My Door
Grace Noll Crowell
A hungry man is at my door,
What shall I do?
My fire is warm, my loaf is sweet,
And I have you,
Sufficient for my needs... but oh,
The wind is cold.
A hungry man is at my door,
And he is old;
And he is weary, waiting to be fed.
I cannot dine
Until I break in three this loaf
I thought was mine.
I cannot rest beside my fire
Unless I share
Its warmth with him, and find a cloak
That he can wear.
This done --- and he upon his way
Along the street ---
I find a warmer fire --- my loaf
Grown doubly sweet.
Because I Have Been Given Much
Grace Noll Crowell
Because I have been given much,
I too must give.
Because of thy great bounty,
Lord each day I live.
I shall divide my gifts from thee
with every brother that I see,
who has the need of help from me.
Because I have been sheltered,
fed by thy good care…
I cannot see another’s lack
and I not share-
my glowing fire,
my loaf of bread-
my roof’s safe shelter over head,
that he too may be comforted.
Because I have been blessed
by thy great love dear Lord,
I’ll share thy love again
according to thy word.
I shall give love to those in need.
I’ll show that love by word and deed,
thus shall my thanks be thanks indeed.
No comments:
Post a Comment