Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Looking up rockets

I've bought several model rocket kits over the time we've been doing rockets.
I've learned things from those kits, but I haven't really figured out how to use those things in the rockets we make ourselves.

So after this last rocket launch I decided to see what other options I could find

I found a very simple PVC rocket. No pictures and rambling instructions with cardboard fins and little else. PVC is durable enough that I think it unfortunate he doesn't usually attempt any recover system.

Then a guy that makes pretty much everything from scratch, using poster board and spray glue. Very detailed instructions and lots of pictures, but rather involved for rockets we tend to lose/break after after 1-2 launches.

Found this paper tiger rocket plan. No step by step instructions, but a detailed diagram, and made primarily out of notebook paper.

I plan to try this one. One easy enough for the kids to make by themselves would be awesome!

Lastly I found a site that has free rocket patterns that you print on cardstock or photo paper, cut out, fold and glue.

Two triangular ones:
nebula
caution
and one round traditional (and more difficult) type:
midnight express

These have pages of detailed instructions, and options for plain printing so that you can color your own designs.

I'm excited to pursue some new possibilities in rocket making.

1 comment:

Scorchi said...

Thanks for the links. Maybe now I'll have some success getting this going in our family.