Friday, August 7, 2009

Hulu isn't my friend

We have always had a policy against paying for TV service.
Where we live, we were lucky to pick up a couple of pbs stations. Mostly we just get videos at the library or watch hulu.com.

Got coupons for converter boxes long ago, but they expired before we were able to use them. The digital conversion came and went, and we didn't really notice.
But every now and then, my youngest will ask to watch Curious George, and the technical explanation of why he can't, well, it's over my head too.

So I wanted to try out a converter box. Local store doesn't have any boxes, with no plans to get anymore either. I just want to test to see if we pick anything up at all. I think it is unlikely, unless we install an outside antenna, which realistically ain't happening. (the whole digital conversion was largely a scam to make it so more people HAD to get cable or satellite, IMHO)

So did a bit of looking at what it would take to watch hulu on TV.

Ran into lots of technical stuff, but what it boils down to it this:
Hulu's content providers like NBC, Fox, ABC, CNET have a very different vision of hulu than I do.

I see hulu as my chance to watch shows online and legally, without having to address the dilemma of little to no tv reception in my area, or resort to bit torrents.

They see hulu as a lower quality chance to catch up on shows that might have been missed, but are normally watched through regular broadcast means (and they so charge much much less for advertising on hulu, and only keep the last few episodes)

Hulu does not want people watching on their tvs and keeps changing things to make it difficult to do so. Terms of use quote:
You may not download, install or use the Hulu Software on any device other than a Personal Computer including without limitation: digital media receiver devices (such as Apple TV), mobile devices (such as a cell phone device, mobile handheld device or a PDA), network devices or CE devices (collectively “Prohibited Devices”).


I think it is funny that their latest change made it so that adblocker plus now blocks out the ads, and not so funny that it now overheats my laptop and causes it to shut down. Hulu used to be the one online video source that didn't do that.

So I've given up on the set top boxes like boxee or roku or the PS3. People used to be able to watch on the PS3, but hulu changed that.

I think this letter about why is funny.

My favorite line is "Nothing productive comes from flouting that
reality" [which is that things should be done as they have always been done.]

So I've decided that what I need is to figure out how to get my computer hooked up to my tv. Not violating the terms of use there, just using my tv as a monitor.

In the meantime, I found Curious George dvds at the library!

2 comments:

Scorchi said...

I guess cable or satellite tv is out of the question?

SillySlang said...

You didn't finish this sentence, and I was keenly interested in whaat was coming next: "They see hulu as a lower quality chance to watch shows that were missed when they ... "

We haven't tried watching hulu, yet. We subscribe to Netflix and watch a lot of streaming movies and t.v. shows there, on our computer.