Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Christmas Magic

Santa doesn't really figure into our Christmas celebrations, a subject for a different post, someday somewhere.

One of my kids was talking about how his friends were wishing that they were younger because the magic is gone now that they don't believe in Santa anymore.

He thought that it was sad to have lost the magic just because of loss of belief in a mythical figure.

(Just curious, how many people stop believing in Santa because of a gift they didn't get?)

But this same child has been very distressed because his aunts and uncles have been making changes to how we celebrate Christmas.

For him much of the magic has been lost because we no longer all willing to all pack ourselves into a single house overnight as part of our Christmas celebration.

He doesn't recognize, nor would he listen if I told him, that part of the magic is lost for both him and his friends, not because of loss of Santa, nor loss of sleepovers, but just because they are teenagers.

3 comments:

Faralee said...

Yah, I've been thinking the same thing. Its unfortunate that so many of us spend so much time when we are older trying to recapture the magic of Christmas that we had as children. Those who believed in Santa do it by trying to get all the children around them to believe. And those who never had Santa do it by trying to recreate in every detail our childhood Christmas. Its unfortunate because none of that is necessary in order to have the true Christmas Spirit. The Christmas Spirit comes from Christ, not Santa and not "perfect" Christmases. I think this was the first year of my whole life that I truly felt that though. Maybe I just never tried before?

Julie said...

Merry Christmas!!! We hope you guys had a wonderful holiday! xoxo

Mahubble said...

Interesting observations. We had such a quiet Christmas, but very nice.