Sunday, May 2, 2010

Recurrant Dreams

You know those dreams that you are in class and you haven't done any of the work, or you are in a test that you haven't studied for, or even attended the class?

Well, I don't have those dreams. (Though I've probably jinxed myself and will now have this dream nightly)

What I dream regularly is that I have overslept, and missed something important. And I dream it over and over in vividly specific detail any time that I have something important (or new) the next day. So much so that when I do finally wake up and realize that I am not late after all, I go, "ARRGGHH, all that stress for nothing?" Or "I have already done this day a dozen times, and I still have to do it for real?"

My husband was thinking this was weird. And I'm not saying it isn't. But oversleeping is something that I have done a lot more in my life. Way more than not being prepared for a test. I've slept through every kind of alarm, through classes, through tests, through important rehearsals. I schedule things as late as I can, to prevent this. I've learned that having so much trouble getting to sleep and so much trouble waking up is probably a sleep disorder (which is very likely familial), and I'm on medication that is an amazing help to that. It just also makes my dreams more vivid.

But it is little wonder that my dreams focus on something that has been a challenge so much of my life. Annoying yes, but wow, getting solid sleep is cool!

1 comment:

elesa said...

I have dreams like that too, so you aren't as weird as your husband would have you believe.