Monday, July 12, 2010

rocket problems/solutions?

Building new rockets tends to put one in mind of problems in the past.

The problems I remembered off the top of my head:

1- Engine mounts blowing out of the rockets.

2- Easter egg nose cones detaching from the nose cone mount.

3- Fins coming off.

1- So I have made some solid cardboard engine mounts, in hopes that the increase surface contact with the body tube means they will stay glued inside the rocket.

2- And I built nose cones out of cardboard, in hopes that craft glue will hold better to cardboard than hot glue does to plastic

And I'm hoping if both of these things will increase the likelihood that the parachutes deploy, which would then lessen the crashed and broken rockets.

3- And on some I've wrapped the fins around the tube, in hopes the increased surface will allow the fins to stay glued on, so I don't have to repair them at the launch.


Cameo told me her main concern was losing rockets, so she is planning to make lightweight rockets with just a streamer, so that she has a better chance of rocket recovery.

Gwyn said she thought the main concern was rockets not launching, but that's a factor of the igniters, and not something that I can do much about.

Watching videos, I realize there are other problems, like rockets that go sideways and try to kill people.

At the moment I'm trying to decide if I should worry about all factors that can cause such things, but that's a post for another day.

So here's a link to the free paper rocket kits:
http://www.fliskits.com/products/free_stuff.htm
including this one:
http://www.fliskits.com/products/free_dl/paper_rockets/nsl04_caution_rocket.htm

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so much fun to be had. i love the together time while building and dreaming about how to make the perfect rocket. of course, that is personal, so fun to see what everyone likes in a rocket and why.

i like your new blog layout. it's very pretty and easy to read.