Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween is weird

There is much that I like about Halloween. I love costuming and making costumes, and having an excuse to dress up. I like going around my neighborhood door to door and meeting some neighbors that I might not see much otherwise.

But the creepy, scary, gory, gross parts of Halloween, I find bizarre.

How did a holiday develop that is about blood, dismembered limbs, or zombies?

But especially now that daylight savings time ends AFTER Halloween, I see some sense in it.

We are heading into the dark of winter. Whether we admit it or not, the dark scares us all. So we have a time to pull those fears out into the open and face them.

I believe that it is Jung that says it is good for us to face our shadows. (at least that's what star trek said he said, I like to have my sources straight)

So I can go along with a day of facing our fears and facing the darkness in ourselves as we head into winter and start waiting for the solstice.

No comments: